Press "Enter" to skip to content

Planned Parenthood Opts Out of US Grants in Dispute Over Abortion Referrals

Planned Parenthood mentioned on Monday it was withdrawing from a federal program subsidizing reproductive healthcare for low-income women after the US administration banned participants in the program from referring women to abortion providers.

Planned Parenthood, the essential abortion provider in the US, said its move was driven by a federal appeals court resolution in July clearing the administration’s way to restrict Title X grants under a brand new policy critics have marked a “gag rule.”

In addition to barring receivers from making abortion referrals, the policy requires monetary and physical separation between amenities funded by Title X and those the place actual abortions are performed.

The rule, imposed by the Department of Health and Human Services, is a part of an effort by the Republican president, his allies in Congress and quite a few Republican-ruled state governments to reduce abortion access in recent times.

Planned Parenthood, accounting for nearly one-fifth of all Title X funds granted, had promised to stop accepting money from the program months ago when HHS said it could begin implementing the brand new restrictions. The group said it might rely instead on donations and emergency funds to make up the gap as best it could.

Monday’s step marked a formal Title X withdrawal, to stay permanent unless Congress acts to overturn the restriction or legal challenges control in court docket.

Congress allocated $286 million in Title X grants in 2017 to Planned Parenthood and other health facilities to offer contraception, disease screening and other reproductive wellbeing and counseling services to poor women.

The group had been offering healthcare to about 40% of the 4 million people who depend on Title X funding yearly, with 600 of its clinics accepting cash from the program.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *